Miss Priss











{Friday, February 24, 2006} Difficult Decision
I just can't decide what to do. I'm seriously debating on having R repeat the 3rd grade next school year. I'm thinking he's missed so much work this year that he's gonna have a real hard time catching up in the new state. It's not that he's missed a lot of days, he's just not doing the work. He doesn't bring his homework home and when he does he rushes through everything so quickly. His teacher is always complaining that he doesn't listen in class, yet when they say start he knows exactly what to do. He's constantly getting into trouble for his behavior.

He's pretty much given up on school and doesn't really work to his full potential. Hell this week he took a spelling test and only got 6 right out of 19. What really upsets me about that is I KNOW he can spell every work on that test. He's just too lazy to do it.

All of his teachers tell me how intelligent he is but he's not putting forth any effort. I'm not sure if his age has anything to do with it since it's never been an issue before. He is one of the youngest kids in his class. His birthday is just days before the start of school. If I did keep him back in 3rd the age wouldn't create an issue.

If you were in this situation what would you do? Any advice/ideas?


1 Comments:


Blogger GreekGoddess said...

Well I have two kids who are on 2nd and 4th grade. What I do first thign when they come home is check if they have homework and help them with it if needed. They are not allowed to do anything else if they dont finish their school responsibilities first. I never had a problem with their school, they work hard. But if they ever did, the first thing I would do, would be to take priviledges away and try to help them. As about keeping him on the same class.. ask for a meeting with his teacher, ask for an assesment and see how it goes. The down side of staying in the same class is the emotional factor.. if you think he REALLY should stay do it. But remember nothing will change next year either if he doesn't get some help.
Hugs from another mom.

5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I'm 28. I'm married. I have 3 kids. I'm going crazy.


Blogs I Visit
Favorite Links


Previous Posts
Archives
Et Cetera