Miss Priss

{Tuesday, July 18, 2006} Day From HELL
I feel like things are falling apart around me and my sanity is one of the first things to go.

It all started last night while I was getting ready for my interview today. Even though the long drawn out version is much more interesting, I can't bare to write the whole thing again. Suffice to say I stabbed the bottom of my foot with a sharp metal object. And no it wasn't on purpose.

So today I'm spending my morning trying to find drop in care for my kids. I never got any referrals for a babysitter so I gave up on that idea. I started calling the boys and girls club for R, but they were "having a situation and no employees were available" to speak to me. So I was asked to call back in about 20 minutes. I called back after a half hour and now no one would answer the phone. So I start trying to call the family child care office to see if I could get a list of their home daycare providers. I figured one of them should have an opening, even if it's just for R and not all three. I knew I could drop K and A off at the child development center. I started calling family child care the minute they opened and only got voice mail. I left a message but never got a response. I found their address and drove by to see if they had a list outside their door. (The family child care office at our old base always had lists outside so that's why I thought I would check) Well this office was nowhere to be found.

Anyway, before I started driving all over the place looking for family child care, I spoke with my mom on the phone. I told her about the accident with my foot and she suggested I go get a tetanus shot. Great one more thing to add to my already busy day. So I call the medical clinic to see if I need an appointment or not. They tell me to just go in. So I got the kids dressed and we head out the door to the clinic. Just as I shut the house door behind me I realize the my car/house keys are on the kitchen counter. OMG what am I going to do? Any other time I'd just call J and tell him I'm locked out. He would them come home and let me back in. This time was different. J is not in any position to come home and let me in. So I call the housing office and ask if they can have someone come out to let me in. (Again a stupid assumption since that's what they did at our last base) The woman I spoke with told me I need to go to their office and show them identification and then they would lend me a key to get back into my house. Okay first off my car keys are in the house which means I CAN'T drive. Second I have a bad foot and three kids, there is NO WAY we can walk the 2.5 miles to the office and then turn around and walk 2.5 miles back. Especially since I only have an umbrella stroller and K is wearing flip flops. I told K she was gonna have to be a big girl and walk even if her feet hurt. I was so frustrated at this point I was bawling. We started walking a got a whole two houses away when my foot started hurting so bad I couldn't go any further. So we turn around and head home. I'm sitting on my front porch crying and trying to figure out what I'm going to do, while the kids run around playing. Suddenly I realize, I think I left my bedroom window unlocked. We all head to the back yard to check and yes it's unlocked. Only the screen is on and it won't come off. So I ripped the screen and opened the window. Then I picked up R and helped him climb in. Once he was in he walked over to the door and unlocked it. And what do you know my keys were right where I left them. Just waiting for me. So I drove over to the medical clinic and got my shot. That's one thing checked off my ToDo list. Now all I need to do is find a babysitter still and get ready for my interview.

Did I mention that by this time my interview is only an two hours away and I still have to feed the kids lunch too? I forgot that part? Oops.

I get home and I'm still hacking my brain trying to figure out what to do for childcare. I only need it for 1 hour AT THE MOST. I searched online for drop in child care in my area and only one thing came up. It's at the mall and it's for children ages 2-11. PERFECT! So I call them and get all the details. I then make the kids their lunch and I get ready for my interview. After everyone is fed and I'm dressed we load back into the van. We head over to the mall and I sign them up and drop them off. Then they hand me my pager and tell me the rules that they "forgot" to tell me over the phone. This childcare can only be used for shopping at the mall and seeing a movie. OK, well why didn't you tell me that when I called? I am NOT allowed to leave the mall while they are in care. So what am I to do? The kids are already checked in and having fun. So I leave and walk around the mall. I could use some time to clear my head anyway.

I realized there was NO WAY I was going to make it to this interview. I called my mom and talked to her for a minute. I really needed to get it out and cry. I didn't want to cry at the mall though. Then I called the lady I was interviewing and asked if I could reschedule. I told her about my day and she said yes I could reschedule. But I know I already made a bad impression due to this. She asked if this would be a common occurrence if I were to get the position. I told her that I KNOW it would not be but I fear the damage is already done.

After I got off the phone with her I called the boys and girls club again and this time an employee answered. I asked if they offered drop in care like the child development center does and he says "no, we're full". So then I sat there wondering, what is a parent to do when their child is "too old" for daycare but too young to stay home alone? What happens when you don't know anyone in your neighborhood?

I let the kids stay their hour in the drop in care and then we came home. As soon as I got home I called family child care again and left another message. The office officially closed an hour and a half ago and I never did get a call back. I'm hoping they call tomorrow. Otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do. I've never had to deal with this before. I've always had a sitter in the past, and now I'm totally alone. It's just me and my kids.


Anonymous Bean said...

What a horrible day :( I don't blame you for feeling crazy. Hope the interview goes really well to make up for it. Good Luck.

10:31 PM  

Anonymous Suzi said...

Ugggg. I can so empathize with your horrible, no good, very bad day. I hope tomorrow is better. How could it NOT be!

Good luck on the child care issue, too.

I came in through Blog Explosion, by the way. Nice place you have here!

10:45 PM  

Anonymous Nina said...

Gawd, i sooo feel your pain. No part-time childcare available here, no matter if im dying and need to go to the hospital or not. I really hope the interview will go well.

12:22 AM  

Blogger Tiff said...

I'm in the same boat as you! GRRRR. My son has medical problems and no one will take him. My mom works full time and i just moved to town and don't know anyone. I feel for ya hon!

8:53 AM  

Blogger Elleoz said...

I would suggest posting an ad on craigslist. It is free and I know alot of people that have been able to find sitters from there. Here's the link:


Good luck and sorry you are having such a rotten day! I wish you luck!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Location: Washington, United States

I'm 28. I'm married. I have 3 kids. I'm going crazy.

Blogs I Visit
Favorite Links

Previous Posts
Et Cetera