Miss Priss











{Wednesday, August 29, 2007} The Experiment
Kids these days have way too much stuff. My kids are no exception. They have Nintendo DS, Game boy Advance SP, Game boy Micro, Game boy Advance, PSP, PS2 (two of them), Xbox, three computers, three mp3 players and I think that's it. The funny thing is they are ALWAYS complaining that they are bored. There's nothing to do. I tell them go play your video games, go read a book, go see if your friends want to play. Nope, they are still bored.

My mom made a comment that really struck me this evening, while we were making dinner. The kids are bored because they have too much. They are overindulged. They don't know how to entertain themselves. So I'm gonna try something. This weekend, Monday not included, we're going to live completely unplugged. Friday night, before bed, I will go through the house and unplug every electrical thing, with the exception of the fridge. I will tape down all the light switches and we will use only candles at night. Good thing it doesn't get dark until the kids' bedtime. We won't even be using the stove, we will be using the BBQ grill. These kids will have to either read a book, play games or, God forbid, play with their toys. GASP! Let's see how bored they are come Monday when they can use everything again.


3 Comments:


Blogger cube said...

Not a bad plan. I'd leave the lights on just for the sake of their little eyes.

10:59 AM  


Blogger Jeremy Lowe said...

Went through 16 days in august in Florida with no power in 04 after the huricanes. Kids learned real quick how to occupy themselves with other things... We often have no electronics...all except me and my pc :-)

11:58 AM  


Blogger Lee Warren said...

Good idea. I'd love to hear how this turned out. Hopefully you'll blog about it.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Name:
Location: Washington, United States

I'm 28. I'm married. I have 3 kids. I'm going crazy.


Blogs I Visit
Favorite Links


Previous Posts
Archives
Et Cetera